Usually I try to make my cupcakes look as beautiful as they taste, but at Halloween I love making hideous looking food. These vanilla cakes are not for the faint hearted….well not for those who have a thing about eyes anyway :-S
I found the eye ball sweets in my local bargain store and they’ve sold them for several years so I’m sure they’ll be easy enough to come by. I use gel food colouring because you get a brighter colour with less product and it doesn’t water down your mixture. You can dye your cake any colour you like, but I chose green and Beth, biting into hers and seeing it exclaimed “urgh, Mummy I think they’re off!” Which was exactly the kind of reaction I was looking for!
You Will Need:
11o grams margarine (just less than 4 oz)
11o grams caster sugar (just less than 4 oz)
120 grams self raising flour (just more than 4 oz)
pinch of baking powder
teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
250 grams icing sugar (just less than 9 oz)
120grams margarine (just less than 4 oz)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon milk
red food colouring
eye ball sweets
- Preheat oven to Gas mark for or 180
- Combine margarine, sugar and vanilla until the colour pales.
- Add the eggs and mix again
- Add food colouring until you get the colour you desire
- Fold in baking powder and flour
- Spoon mixture into cases
- Smooth the top of the mix and add a small splodge of jam
- Swirl the jam gently
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until cakes are golden and spongy
- Allow to cool
- Stick eye ball sweets on with a little jam
- Mix together icing sugar, vanilla, milk and margarine and beat well until the mixture pales.
- Add food colouring.
- Pipe two lines above and below the eye ball sweet.
These cakes may look odd but they taste lovely. The jam sinks into the cake and comes as quite a surprise when you eat it!