What if I told you that a delicious and nutritious breakfast could come out of the freezer?
Well I was inspired by my friend Tanya, who is basically the most beautiful Mum there ever was, to make some yummy and very pretty ice lollies.
I know, I know…AND she’s had three children! It’s not ok to hate her though because she’s really, really nice 😊
Tanya described the recipe as ‘smooshing together’ blueberries, yoghurt and cereal. But for those who aren’t so comfortable with smooshing, I’ve had a few run throughs (for research purposes of course 😉) and worked out amounts and methods to make your ice lollies just perfect .
You will need
450g natural yoghurt – plain or flavoured. For this recipe I use fat free vanilla yoghurt.
- Place your granola in a freezer bag and crush slightly. You don’t want to reduce it to dust, you just need to pieces to be fairly small so that the lolly holds together.
- In a bowl combine the granola and about 4 desert spoonfuls of yoghurt.
- Stir in a desert spoonful of honey.
- Blend your blueberries or push them through a sieve.
- Loosely mix together the blueberries and yoghurt. It looks better if you don’t fully combine them. If you’re using plain yoghurt, you might like to add a little honey aswell.
- Now layer the two mixtures in your moulds.
- To make sure that there aren’t any gaps, you’ll need to tap the moulds on your work surface every now and again. If you’re not sure just use a lolly stick poke the ingredients around.
- Add a lolly stick to each mould and freeze for several hours, preferably overnight.
These have gone down so well in our house and not just as a breakfast treat on hot days. The lollies are like a small meal!! I’ve found myself grabbing one at lunchtime when I was too hot/busy/lazy to make anything 😄