How To Make Over The Rainbow Cakes
Over the Rainbow Cakes
‘There’s no place like home’ and there’s no baking like home baking.The Wizard of Oz is often credited as the ‘most famous film of all time’ and surely it’s most famous song of all is ‘Somewhere over the rainbow’. Based on a 1900 novel and released in 1939, The Wizard Of Oz and Dorothy’s infamous first song are the inspirations for this ridiculously colourful recipe.
You will need:
3 medium free range eggs
6oz unsalted butter
6oz self raising flour
6oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
A pinch of baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 150
- Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence and beat until the mixture begins to pale.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the mixture. Stir until fully combined.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture and stir in gently using a figure of eight motion.
- Spoon a little of the mixture into a cake case, to around 1cm deep.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of sugar strands ontop of the mixture.
- Cover up the sugar strands and continue to fill the case until around ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling wire and allow to cool completely.
Now its time to decorate!!
You will need:
15oz Icing Sugar
Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
Blue food colouring paste
Tablespoon of milk
- Place the margarine and vanilla in a bowl and beat until the margarine becomes pale.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well between additions.
- Add a small amount of food colouring and stir in until the colour is even.
- Add the milk gradually until you chi eve a smooth consistency.
- Pipe or spread onto the cake tops.
- Cut an 8cm piece of rainbow sweet and stick to the cake in an arch shape.
- Place three mini-marshmallows at each end to make ‘clouds’.