How To Make My Warming Ginger Cakes
I may be longing for Spring, I may be clinging to the sight of every brave bulb that is pushing it’s way through the soil, I may be trying to convince myself that Winter is nearly over; but there is no denying one simple fact….it is absolutely freezing!!
You Will Need:
8oz self raising flour
4oz soft brown sugar
2oz caster sugar
3 medium eggs
1 tablespoon black treacle
1 1/2 tablespoons semi skimmed milk
5 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping:
7oz icing sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons semi skimmed milk
- Preheat oven to 140
- Cream together the margarine and both types of sugar.
- Stir in the treacle and stir until combined
- Add the vanilla, ground ginger and eggs and beat well.
- Add the milk and beat well.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder using a figure of eight motion.
- Place the mixture into 12 muffin cases.
- Bake for 10 mins before reducing the oven to 120 and turning the cake tray.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Switch off the oven and leave the cakes inside for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make the topping:
- Beat the margarine until it begins to pale.
- Add the syrup and ground ginger and beat until the mixture becomes a little bit ‘fluffy’.
- Mix in the milk and beat well.
- Add the icing sugar and mix until the topping takes on a creamy, shiny texture.
- Spoon on top of each cake and spread to edges.
- I have topped with a little grated chocolate.