Luxury Almond Cakes.
I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe, so I didn’t take any step by step photos :-S But so many of you wanted the recipe that I’ll just have to post it without for now. I did however take lots of lovely ‘end product’ photos, so at least you can see what they should turn out like!!
This recipe makes 12 fairy cake sized cakes. The almond flavour is very much in evidence, but the best thing about this recipe is the combination of textures. Fluffy cake, silky smooth topping and crunchy almonds; yum.
You will need.
100g / 3.5 ounce margarine
100g / 3.5 ounce caster sugar
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
6 tablespoons semi skimmed milk
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
175g / 6 ounce plain flour
70g / 2.5 ounce ground almonds
10 grams / 1/2 ounce of flaked almonds
- Start by preheating your oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180
- Combine the margarine and sugar and mix until the mixture begins to pale.
- Add the eggs and beat well
- Add the milk and almond essence
- Using a figure of eight motion, fold in the baking powder and flour using a metal spoon
- Fold in the ground almonds
- sprinkle a few flaked almonds into the bottom of each case.
- Spoon equal amounts into the 12 cake cases and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool fully before decorating.
You will need:
115g / 4 ounce margarine
260g / 9 ounce icing sugar
few drops of almond essence
25g / 1 ounce flaked almonds
1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
12 glace cherries
- Spread your flaked almonds on a baking sheet and toast under a medium grill for just a couple of minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
- Beat your margarine until it becomes slightly paler and then gradually add your icing sugar.
- Once combined you need to continue to mix for a few minutes.
- Add the almond essence.
- Place equal amounts on each cake and spread roughly with a knife.
- Pop a cherry on the top of each one.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds around the cherry.
I hope you find this recipe helpful, even without images. I think its quite simple but looks so scrumptious and tastes even better!