Hot Chocolate is a serious business in our house. It has to be frothy, it has to be creamy and it has to be topped with marshmallows and squirty cream. Anything else just doesn’t cut the mustard. I always try to come up with ways of making our favourite things even more special, like our Christmas hot chocolate sprinkles. These stirrers are instead (Beth if you’re reading this, this means you!) of marshmallows and if you aren’t a fan of hot chocolate, you can just eat them as treats.
This recipe makes 6 stirrers
short skewers (the type used for chocolate fountains work well)
1 large bar of eating chocolate
chocolate drops, smarties, crushed maltesers or crushed cinder toffee
- Break the chocolate into squares and melt in a ban marie (a bowl over a pan of boiling water).
- Skewer 3 marshmallows, with the widest part facing down.
- Cover the marshmallows with chocolate and the topping of your choice.
- If you’re using smarties or chocolate drops, you’ll need to let the chocolate set for a little while before adding them and then rest them on a lined baking tray to set.
- If your covering your stirrers with crushed cinder toffee or maltesers then you need to let them set in an upright position. I found that the best way to do it is to use a cooling wire.