It’s taken a while for me to write this recipe, mainly because until recently I had always made it by eye rather than by measuring the ingredients.
But after plenty of experimentation and stringent measuring (it was a hard job sampling all those cakes but I did it for you guys!) here it is. The trick to making really good buttercream isn’t really about the ingredients, it’s about how long you mix them!
This amount will cover around six cupcakes with PLENTY of buttercream. It will stretch to around 12 smaller fairy cakes.
You Will Need
100g good quality buttery margarine
270g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon whole milk
- It’s best to use an electric whisk or mixer but you can make buttercream by hand
- Beat the margarine until the colour pales
- Sieve half of the icing sugar into the bowl
- Add the milk and vanilla essence
- Beat until fully combined
- Add the remaining icing sugar a little at a time and beat well
- Once the ingredients are all combined, mix at the fastest setting for five minutes.
- You can now add colourings or more milk/icing sugar to alter the texture.
If you’d like to know how to create the perfect buttercream swirl, I’ve created a video tutorial for you 🙂