Shortbread is one of my all time favourite treats…and one of the simplest things to make! Why not treat your loved one; spouse, partner, friend or child to a plate of these little beauties?
You Will Need:
150g / 6oz Plain Flour
100g / 4oz Unsalted Butter.
50g / 2oz Caster Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 1/2 Teaspoons Milk
- Preheat oven to 180 / Gas Mark 4
- Line a baking tray with foil or greaseproof paper.
- Dice your butter and place in a bowl with the flour.
- Rub together flour and butter until you reach a breadcrumb consistency.
- Stir in your Caster sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of your mixture and add the vanilla Essence and the milk.
- Using your hands, squeeze the mixture together to form a dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of approximately 5mm.
- Cut into your preferred shapes.
- Carefully place your shapes onto the tray and bake for around 8-10 minutes or until you have a ‘pale golden’ colour.
As you can see my shortbread is probably a little darker than the WI would deem acceptable, but this is the way I like it 😉
- Allow to rest on the tray for 2 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling wire.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and maybe a little edible glitter to make them extra special.
There are so many variations to this recipe.
You could make the shortbread using Lavender Sugar instead of plain caster sugar or substitute a little of the flour with cocoa powder?
You could replace the Vanilla Essence with Almond Essence or even lemon oil, or what about replacing the essence and milk with rose water?
Let me know how yours turn out?