Peppermint Creams are usually associated with Christmas, but I think if they’re pink and love-heart shaped, they are very much Valentines Day treats.
You will need:
12g Fondant Icing Sugar
1 Medium Egg White
1 Teaspoon Peppermint Essence
Food colouring (I use a paste)
1 1/2 Teaspoons Double Cream
1 Large Bar of White Eating Chocolate
- Whisk your egg white until it becomes frothy but not stiff.
- Whisk in the double cream.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the sugar and beat well.
- Add the Peppermint essence.
- A little at a time, add the rest of the icing sugar, mixing well with each addition.
- Towards the end, it does get very difficult to combine all of the sugar. Don’t worry and persevere, if you add more cream to try to make it easier, the sweets may not set.
- Remove your mix from the bowl and knead with your hands until smooth.
- Add a few drops of food colouring and knead until the colour is even.
- Dust a clean surface and your rolling pin with icing sugar.
- Roll out your mixture to a thickness of approx 4mm and cut out your shapes.
- Place your shapes on a plate or a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper ensuring that the sweets are not touching.
- Chill in the Fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to harden.
- Melt your chocolate using a bain-marie. You can buy these but I use a bowl sat ontop of a pan of boiling water. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl, or the chocolate will burn. Keep your hob on a low temperature and stir continuously.
- Once your chocolate is melted remove from the heat.
- Dip one half of each sweet into the chocolate and then into the sprinkles.
- Allow to set on a wire cooling rack.