Bonfire Night is almost upon us, so I thought I’d share this cute gift idea.
As you know I love making gifts in jars and this one will take you right back to your childhood. Though it contains fruit, this is by no means a healthy recipe, but by no means do I suggest that this should be an everyday treat!!
You Will Need:
- Caramels/ dairy toffee
- A wide neck jar
- A lolly stick or a long handled tea spoon
Creating the jar is an assembly job. Place a couple of handfuls of smarties at the bottom of a jar and fill the rest with wrapped caramels. Close the jar and tie an apple to the lid using lace and colourful twine. The perfect present or treat for yourself – but don’t forget to include instructions!
- Empty out the jar, place the smarties in a bowl and unwrap around 15 caramels.
- If you’re clever you’ll have chosen a jar with no metal elements, if like me you’ve chozen a flip top, you’ll need to put the unwrapped caramels in a microwavable bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of water to the caramels and microwave for around 1 minute in 10-15 second bursts. Stir in between.
- Poke your apple with the lolly stick or spoon and dip into the caramel sauce. Spread over the apple if needed.
- Dip into the smarties
- Wait to cool and then devour!
Obviously you can change the toppings, why not try mini marshmallows, crushed nuts or chocolate drops?!