No Added Sugar Breakfast Bites
I have a really bad sweet tooth. I mean REALLY bad. I used to keep it in check but recently I’ve let it take control of my food choices and to be honest it’s starting to show on my waistline ?
I’ve been craving sweetness all the time but especially first thing in the morning. When I’m eating well, I rely on oats to keep me full and fuelled until lunchtime. Dottie too – she loves these chocolate oats and they’re so quick and easy to make in the microwave. Great for lazy mornings or for when you’re too busy to keep an eye on a pan!
When it’s warm I like to make overnight oats because they’re delicious eaten cold and ready as soon as you wake up. But even creamy oats, drizzled with maple syrup, aren’t quite hitting the spot right now.
In an attempt to satisfy my sweet cravings and get my food choices back on the side of healthy, I’ve come up with a breakfast treat that has oats to fill me up, fruit, vegetables, nuts and no added sugar or fats. And they taste amazing!
This recipe makes around twelve cupcakes.
You Will Need
100g porridge oats (I’ve used Ready Brek)
100g self raising flour
150g grated carrot
1 ripe banana, mashed
80g chopped dates
30g flaked almonds
5 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and add the mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add the spices, honey and baking powder. Mix again.
- Add the grated carrot and stir in gently.
- Stir in the dates and flaked almonds.
- Add the flour and stir, followed by the oats. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon into cake cakes and bake for around 25 minutes.
- While the cakes are still hot, brush the tops with honey.
- Allow to cool completely.
These ‘cakes’ freeze well and travel well. So you could make a large batch in advance or take them along on your adventures ?
What adventures do you have planned for the Summer?
*I was gifted some Ready Brek for the purposes of developing this recipe*